Quick Facts on Plastic Bags
Why you need to say NO to plastic bags at check-out.
- There are over 1 trillion plastic bags used every year worldwide (Earth Policy Institute).
- Approximately 32 million tons of plastic waste are generated annually, representing 12.7% of total municipal solid waste (Environmental Protection Agency).
- The average American family takes home 1,500 plastic bags a year (Natural Resources Defense Council).
- Americans use and throw away 100 billion plastic bags every year, which requires 12 million barrels of oil per year to manufacture (The Wall Street Journal).
- Scientists estimate that every square mile of ocean contains approximately 46,000 pieces of plastic floating in it (United Nations Environment Programme).
- A single plastic bag can take up 500 years or more to degrade (Measuring biodegradability, ScienceLearn.org).
If you don’t know, now you know.
Moral of the story, trade your plastic bags in for reusable totes and help to an end to unnecessary waste.